School may be more than a month away, but we’re recruiting now for volunteers to assist K-12 students with homework assignments and developing literacy and mathematics skills throughout the 2014-2015 school year.
What does it take to be a Homework Helper? Anne Vedella, the Library’s volunteer services coordinator, says successful Homework Helpers are comfortable interacting with students of all ages individually and in small groups. And since Homework Help is a drop-in program for students, volunteers work with different students throughout the year. “Each week, the students and their requests for academic support may be different,” says Vedella. “You don’t need to be a subject expert to participate, although that is helpful, especially in the areas of math, reading, writing and science.”
Homework Help will be offered at the following locations from September 8, 2014, through June 11, 2015:
- Beacon Hill Branch, 2821 Beacon Ave. S.
- Broadview Branch, 12755 Greenwood Ave. N.
- Columbia Branch, 4721 Rainier Ave. S.
- Delridge Branch, 5423 Delridge Way S.W.
- Douglass-Truth Branch, 2300 E. Yesler Way
- High Point Branch, 3411 S.W. Raymond St.
- Lake City Branch, 12501 28th Ave. N.E.
- NewHolly Branch, 7058 32nd Ave. S.
- Northgate Branch, 10548 Fifth Ave. N.E.
- Rainier Beach Branch, 9125 Rainier Ave. S.
- South Park Branch, 8604 Eighth Ave. S.
Volunteers will be scheduled to assist students once a week when Seattle Public Schools are in session. Those who cannot make weekly commitments can be scheduled as substitutes at least twice a month for a minimum of four months.
For more information and to download a volunteer application, go to www.spl.org/helper2014. Applicants must have completed at least one year of college or vocational school and have strong English and/or mathematics skills. Individuals who have teaching or tutoring experience are particularly encouraged to apply.
Individuals who submit their application by July 25 will receive priority consideration for volunteer openings. Contact Anne Vedella, volunteer services coordinator, at email@example.com if you have questions.