We are participating in Directed By Women, a global celebration of women directors and their works this month. Here is the full schedule of our Directed by Women Film Series. For more contemporary international women directors, check out these films for a trip around the world!
- Deepa Mehta: Born in 1950 in Amritsar, India. Best known for her Elements Trilogy.
- Ning Ying: Born 1959 in Beijing, China. Often considered a member of China’s “Sixth Generation,” but some say she is the bridge between them and the “Fifth Generation.”
- Lucrecia Martel: Born in 1966 in Salta Argentina. Her debut feature film La Ciénaga has received several international film festival awards.
- Claire Dennis: Born in 1946 in Paris, France. Often recognized for her focus on French colonialism in Africa a theme covered in her debut film, Chocolat.
- Lina Wertmüller: Born in 1928 in Rome, Italy. The first woman nominated for an Academy Award for Directing for Seven Beauties.
- Shimako Sato: Born in 1964 in Iwate Prefecture, Japan. Best known for her big budget action, adventure film, K-20.