Here’s your chance to read it as they write it: Tomorrow morning at 10 sharp, novelist Jennie Shortridge will write the opening lines of a new novel, something she’s certainly done before, but never in so public of a space. This time, Shortridge and 35 other local authors are writing on stage in The Novel: Live! — and you can follow along online or in person to see this collaborative novel take shape.
This novel project was launched by the Seattle7Writers, a group of novelists who have been kicking butt raising money for various nonprofits (The Novel: Live! project benefits 826 Seattle and Writers in the Schools) and creating pocket libraries. As the countdown to the live novel writing project nears, we asked The Seattle7 to share their favorite writing books:
- Kit Bakke: Aspects of the Novel by E.M. Forster
- Carol Cassella: The Writer’s Portable Mentor by Priscilla Long
- Bharti Kirchner: The Fire in Fiction by Donald Maass
- Erica Bauermeister: If You Want To Write by Brenda Ueland
- Jennie Shortridge: Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott
- Maria Dahvana Headley: On Writing by Stephen King
- Garth Stein: Aristotle’s Poetics
Tune in tomorrow to The Novel: Live! website to watch the creative process unfold in Seattle!